Sunday, June 28, 2009

MAGMAAAA!!!

Last weekend, we went to climb Mt. Etna on the coastline of Sicily, one of the oldest active volcanoes in the world. Its last eruption was actually in September of 2007. As you can imagine, we had high expectations for this hike. Picture tantalizing smoke, rocks spewing from the summit, hot smoldering lava gushing out of the crater as it chases us down the mountain. Picture that? We did........only to see NONE of that. I mean, yes, our expectation was maaaybe a bit ridiculous, but still!! To be fair, the top was very beautiful and it was cool to see the crater, it just wasn't exactly what we were expecting. We had to take a $40 cable car ride to half way point, and hiked another 2 hours or so to the top. Here are some pics of our adventure.

Our hiking trail

the crater....where's the MAGMAAA???
I made it, woohoo!
Don't Jess and I look reeeally similar? Unfortunately, my cap wouldn't stay on because my head was too big!!! even with adjustable straps, my head wouldn't fit....
Us on top :) Check out the glaciers (I think) in the background.
Dan doing some solo trekking.

More to come about the following day, ciao!
Gelato of the day: Bacio

No comments:

Post a Comment