Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Taormina

Located on the eastern coast of Sicily, Taormina is a huge tourist spot, so much so that we weren't sure if it was worth visiting a place that was over run by tourist. But after inquiring some of our coworkers, we thought it was worth a peak. Man, I am so glad we went, because Taormina was fantabulous!! The 1 hour bus ride from Catania took us up and up through the hills and what we saw were magnificent views of Taormina. Of course, there were tons of baller hotels perched on top of the cliffs. I think it might be worht a revisit when I can afford to stay at one of these uber expensive hotels. You can see Mt. Etna in the back. Doesn't it look so much prettier from afar? Crazy to think that I was actually up there the previous day.
But the highlight sight was their Teatro Greco (Greek Theater), sitting on top of the hill overlooking the water. The theater is actually open for show performances, which I would imagine would be amazing to watch.

While wandering through the streets of Taormina, I came across a Marzipan shop, which is very prevalent in sicily. A confectionary made out of sugar and almond flower, it is colorfully shaped into different fruits. I chose one in the shape of a fig (my newly discovered favorite fruit this summer). I may look very happy posing with the marzipan in the picture, but boy....did I hate the thing! It was so sugary and grainy, I took one bite, and banished that noisome object to the far corner of my fridge where it sat until Dan and Jess finally ate it yesterday. Ugh....my teeth are still in shock from it... Don't be fooled by the pretty colors and shape!!

No comments:

Post a Comment