Thursday, July 23, 2009

How I ended up sick for the first time on Sunday...

One Sunday morning, I became sick.
It's not the typical sneezing and hacking up my lung type of sickness one would think of. No, I was SEA sick. In fact, I was sea sick the entire Sunday and the weekend follwing (but that's another story). My first sea sickness experience was not pleasant....
It all began when many of our friends and coworkers kept raving about San Vito lo Capo, which is a town that jets out of the Northwestern coast of Sicily. It is supposed to have one of the most beautiful beaches in Sicily. However, it is only accessible by car. Imagine my excitement when we found out that we can take a bus to a town nearby and take a 9 hour boat tour all around the peninsula with a 3 hour stop over at San Vito to explore. I had never been on a boat tour or a cruise before, but I was giddy with excitement, envisioning myself standing at the head of the boat, with soft breezy wind tossing my hair and cool mists of water splashing on my sun kissed skin as we cruised down the gorgeous coast. And in theory, that is more or less what happened....except instead of standing, I was curled into a ball, fetal position, shivering under my damp towel with clammy, cold skin, and my straggly hair in my face counting down the 540 minutes that I had to endure on the boat....
Don't get me wrong, the scenery from the boat was spectacular, just like in the movies. And San Vito lo Cap was bellisimo. I just couldn't stomach (pun intended ^_^) the rocky waves and stop my gastric acid from sloshing around in my stomach. We stopped in the middle at a picteresque spot for an hour, so people can jump off the boat to go for a swim. The swim was wonderfully refreshing. But upon returning to the boat, my sea sickness came back faster than I was able to wipe myself dry. It also didn't help that while we stopped, the boat rocked 3 times as much. After FINALLY planting my feet on the glorious glorious land, part II of my trouble began.
Apparently, the bus driver told us the wrong time for the last bus back to Palermo, so we MISSED the last bus of the day back home. Desperate, Jess courageously started approaching tour buses and miraculously, we were able to hitch a ride back to Palermo from a tour bus filled with vacationers in their 60s! (time #2 for hitch hiking off of tour buses for me ^_^) As we made our way down the bus, every eye was on us, as if we were some exotic creatures that just magically 'poofed' onto the bus. Everyone was so kind and many tried to engage in coversations with us. The tour guide even introduced us as the Japanese sisters over the microphone. I truly experienced Sicilian hospitality that day and we safely arrived back home.
As I slept in my NONmoving bed that night, I vowed that I would never travel by sea again...only to take back those words a few days later...
To be continued....




I was so happy to be out of the boat! hehehe


love the sparkling water

San Vito lo Capo

1 comment: